How to convert your Facebook Profile into a Facebook Page

Facebook will now allow you to change your “profile” into a page!

As you may know, Facebook “profiles” are for individual people. “Pages” are for businesses and organizations.

Having a profile for anything other than an individual person is a violation of Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. If you don’t convert your profile to a Page, you risk permanently losing access to the profile and all of your content. This means they can delete your profile, at any time, without warning, for being in violation–even if you aren’t doing anything “wrong.” It happened to a  rescue in Oklahoma just last month.

But NOW, if you accidentally set up your Facebook presence as a “profile,” you can switch it over easily, AND all your “friends” will automatically become “fans”!! Pretty exciting.

So, here is what you need to know, because (as with all things Facebook) it’s definitely possible to mess this up!

What will transfer over?

Right now, ALL your friends will become fans, and it will keep your same profile picture. That’s IT. So if you have notes, photos, videos, etc. it will NOT copy those over–UNLESS you do a couple extra steps, which I’m going to outline for you below.

Is it permanent? Can you switch back?

Yes, it’s permanent. No, you can’t switch back.

So how do you do it?

If you have extra content on your profile, like notes and other photos (besides your profile photo), you can easily download this to your computer, and then re-upload it once you convert your profile to a page. So you have to save this information first. If you just recently created your profile, you don’t need to worry about this.

To do this, Watch the video below or follow these steps:

1. Click on Account Settings (upper right corner).
  2. Click on “learn more” next to “Download Your Information.”
  3. Click on “Download.”
  4. They will send you an email with a link to download the file when it’s ready.

DO NOT start converting your profile to a page until you’ve downloaded that file!!

So, if you’re ready to convert your profile to a page, click here to start. (the link will open in a new window so you can still see the instructions here)

Are you not sure what kind of page you need to create? Watch this video to understand what kind of Facebook page is right for you.

BE SURE you are logged in to the account that you want to convert! If you maintain your own personal account, plus one for your shelter, be sure you’re logged into the right account, because there’s no going back.

This account you’re logged into will become a Facebook “Business Account,” and will be the admin for the new page that it’s creating. So now you an add other people as admins to your page. It’s really important to have other people as admins on your page, age least one other person, just in case something happens to you. So make sure you set up some other admins on the page!

If you’re having trouble, comment below or on my Facebook page, and I’ll be glad to help!

Get in Touch!

I'm available via most social media, so drop me a line! I'll answer your questions and I really look forward to hearing from you and helping if I can!

104 Responses to How to convert your Facebook Profile into a Facebook Page

1. Emily Garman December 5, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Petar, yes–you can do that. You can convert your profile into a page, then, if the two pages have the same exact name, you could merge them into 1 page. However, if you don’t have a profile, you’ll have the issue of not having any admins on that page. Once you convert your profile to a page, “you” (the profile you created) no longer exist on Facebook. So there is no profile to be the administrator of your page. So before you do the conversion, at least put someone else as an admin on your page. Otherwise you will have an orphan page, with no admins, and it’s impossible to edit the page at all in that situation.

2. Abrie December 20, 2011 at 7:51 am #

Hi,

I’ve followed the steps, did the download and converted.
    BUT I have issues on my page display.

I only have a facebook, settings and logout tab on top bar.
    No Search bar or messages tab, friend request or notification icon.
    I cannot see my friends feeds.
    It’s as if my page is just dead.
    I only see a couple of tabs below my PF pic and the the friends that turned into a like this.

I can’t click on a friend or even see a friends list.

Can you assist me please or tell me how to contact FB direct.

3. Emily Garman December 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

This sounds like a bug; report it here: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=wall_bug

4. Michael Lai December 24, 2011 at 1:13 am #

How do i go back from page to profile??

5. Kelly December 27, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

Hi Emily,

Do you happen to know – is there a way for me to do this if I already have a business page? Or will I need to start from scratch and rebuild my business page. Thanks so much for posting this!

-Kelly

6. Emily Garman December 31, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

Hi Kelly–You can still convert your profile into a page, but then you would have two pages. You MIGHT be able to merge those pages, but I wouldn’t count on it. (if you couldn’t, you could just delete one page). I think if you already have a business page that is successful, you should keep that. If you don’t want your profile anymore for some reason, you can just delete your profile. BUT, make sure that profile is not the only admin on your Facebook page–otherwise your page will be left “admin-less” when you delete the profile!

7. Emily Garman December 31, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

Sorry, Michael–I wish you had watched the video all the way through! There’s no way to go back to a profile from a page. You’ll need to create a new profile and start over.

8. Wendy January 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

Emily is there a way around the facebook requirement to be on a computer that has been used for facebook browsing (I am assuming they are connecting accounts to certain computers as I am doing this for someone else on my computer)? I suppose I could use his computer but it is much easier if I can do this on my own. Any ideas? Thank you by the way for posting this information…very helpful indeed!

9. Emily Garman January 12, 2012 at 11:01 pm #

Hi Wendy, This is a very frustrating thing; I have encountered the same problem myself. It seems to be totally random. Facebook “recognizes” the IP address of the computer you usually login with, kind of like your bank website. So if you try to login from a different computer, it senses that it COULD be a security risk. This is good, in theory…it protects your account. But what it SHOULD do at this point is ask you your security questions, so you can verify that you are legitimately accessing your account. (in your case, you could ask your friend to answer these security questions so you can access her account from your computer). But what is happening to you, it seems, is that it is NOT prompting you for those questions. So there’s no way for you to login. You could try reporting a bug here–perhaps you will get some resolution this way? It’s the only thing I know to tell you!! Good luck. http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=optin_notifications

10. dan February 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

I have been experiencing the same issue for quite some time as well. Trying to convert my client’s personal page to a business/fan page, and every time I get the error message that I can only do this on a computer that is regularly used to login to FB. I have even sat next to my client at his computer at his office and had him attempt to convert (using the regular computer he uses) and this error keeps occurring. If anyone has a solution, please let me know. And I have have sent bug reports to FB and literally have been ignored by them.

11. Shawin DM February 27, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

Not knowing I could convert my profile into a like page, I created a new like page. So I now have a like page and a facebook profile. Is there anyways I can merge the two?

Thanks for your help!

12. Jamie March 17, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

I downloaded everything to my laptop, converted my page, and now I am confused. I thought the purpose of downloading the info was to upload it to y page… Is this not the case? If not, you should really make it a point to say that. I wouldn’t have converted…

13. Jamie March 17, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

Also, there is no “home” page after you convert so there is no animals for me to network now???!!! I would’ve be better off taking the chance of getting closed down…now what?!

14. Emily Garman March 18, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Hi Jamie,

I’m sorry you didn’t get the complete information from the article. You do have all your raw data–photos, etc.–but you will have to upload them manually now.
    Also, the reason you are not seeing a “home” page and you are not able to search is because you don’t have an admin on your page. Now that you have a page, until you add a profile (a person’s profile) to be the admin on your page, you will be severely limited in what you can do on Facebook. The way facebook works is that people (profiles) administer pages (for businesses/organizations). so what you need to do is add your own profile (or someone else’s profile) as an admin on your page. Click here to learn how to add administrators to your Facebook page. Once you do that, you will have all the other options you used to when you logged into Facebook.

15. Chris April 5, 2013 at 11:33 am #

Hi Emily,
    In your response to Jamie above, you said “you will have to upload them manually now.” That’s what I’m trying to do now. I find multiple places online telling me to upload the saved data manually, but I can’t figure out how to do it. Could you please explain how to do it. I can’t even find a “read me” file in the folder from Facebook.

16. Emily Garman April 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

Hi Chris,

So the file you downloaded was a ZIP file, right? You’ll need to open that file. The way to do that depends on your computer and what software you have installed. Usually you can just double-click on the ZIP file and it will unpack itself. Then you should have a folder that contains all the images and text files from your profile. then you will just upload those files just like you upload files normally. Upload a photo or multiple photos to an album, give them captions, etc. As for your posts, you’ll need to “repost” anything you want to keep. You can backdate posts, so if there is something important from a few months ago, just choose that date to make your post (click on the little icon in the bottom left corner of the post box that looks like a clock to choose your date).

That’s what I meant by “manual.” it’s not like a one-click thing and all your posts and photos are suddenly there–unfortunately. that would be much better! Who knows…maybe they’ll create a way to do that someday.

Good luck; hope that helps!

Emily

17. Chris April 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

First, thanks for your super-quick response. Unfortunately, everything (except for one jpeg) in the unzipped file ends in .html. When I open it in a browser, it all appears to be useless. I don’t see anything that I could, essentially copy/paste back onto the page. Oh well. At least our friends turned to “likes.” Thanks for your help.

18. amit April 23, 2013 at 1:01 am #

i hav a page and id( with lots of friend and follower, i want marge into one .

is it possible ? ……

19. andy April 25, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

I saved all data off a facebook account like facebook says to turn it into a page but cant find any information anywhere to tell me how to upload this to my page , does anyone know how to do this or have I lost all my past updates etc ? Please help Andy

20. Emily Garman May 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

Hi Andy, you need to unzip that ZIP file, and you will see all your content–photos, etc.–and you can upload those to your page. But you’ll have to do it manually, one at a time–so you’ll have to basically recreate all your past posts (you can back date them if you wish). It’s a real pain in the neck, and Facebook provides no other way to do it. Perhaps someday, you will be able to just convert your profile to a page and keep all your content (not sure why this is not possible now!). But at the moment, this is the only way.

21. Emily Garman May 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

Not sure what you mean by ID. you can take your profile (is that what you mean by ID?) and convert it into a page, and then you can merge the two pages. But you can’t merge a page with a profile, no.

22. Chris May 15, 2013 at 9:25 am #

You seem knowledgeable with FB, maybe you can answer this for me. A business had to FB pages, they wanted to merge them into one. According to FB the one with the fewer likes gets merged into the one with more likes and the fewer likes page is deleted from FB. Right? Unfortunately this did not happen as FB said it would but the opposite, the fewer likes page took over the greater likes page and the greater likes page was deleted. Any idea of why this happened? I have other people that would like to do this, but I will not assist them until I can find out why this happens.

23. Emily Garman June 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

Hi Chris, that is the rule I have heard also–the smaller page gets merged into the larger page (size being determined by number of “likes.”) I’m not sure what happened in that situation…my only guess would be that Facebook just had a glitch. It’s entirely possible (likely, in fact!).

24. Aarti June 24, 2013 at 11:54 am #

Hi, I have followed your steps to convert my profile to a business page and I have managed to set up the page only none of my friends got transferred and the old profile still exists. How do I get just the page to remain and get rid of the profile?

25. Emily Garman June 26, 2013 at 9:47 am #

If your profile still exists, then you did not perform the conversion correctly. Once you do the conversion, your friends will convert and your profile will no longer exist.

26. Gladys July 1, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Hello Emily,

I keep on receiving this statments “Please switch to a computer that you’ve previously used to browse Facebook.
    To ensure your account security, please complete this process on a computer you’ve used in the past. If this isn’t possible, please contact customer support from the Help Center.” After putting on my password and getting started. What should I do? I cant contact the Help Center and it got a lot of work to do before I can contact their service. Thank you 🙂

27. Emily Garman July 2, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Other people have this problem, too. As near as I can tell, this is a problem that people have if they are outside the US. Are you in another country? It also seems to be that (if you’re in the USA) it may work if you try it at a later time.

28. Hermon July 8, 2013 at 9:42 am #

Everything worked great but there is one thing I ran into after manually trying to resubmit all my post back to my timeline on my now public page i setup. FB wont allow you to post anything that is backdated behind the creation date of the page.

29. Hermon July 8, 2013 at 11:04 am #

Just a quick update. I found that if you change your start date under your preferences once you create your page to an earlier date then you can set your other dates to the correct times 😉

30. Melissa July 9, 2013 at 11:15 am #

I have tried several times from several computers, and I keep getting the same error. “Please switch to a computer that you’ve previously used to browse Facebook. To ensure your account security, please complete this process on a computer you’ve used in the past. If this isn’t possible, please contact customer support from the Help Center.”

I am in the US. I am using computers that I use daily to browse facebook. Any ideas? I have been trying since Saturday and am getting frustrated. Thanks!

31. kelly July 20, 2013 at 11:46 am #

i’v converted my id into a page …but
    i can’t add another admin !!
    its not even showing the names in the box,when i type something e.g:- A,B
    plzzz help..

32. Emily Garman August 2, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

This is great info, Hermon–thanks for sharing!

33. Debbie Whorley August 12, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Can I change the name of my rescue FB account to “my name, rescuer for Kindness Matters Ferret Rescue”?

34. Emily Garman September 6, 2013 at 9:53 am #

It depends on a number of things. If your Facebook account is set up as a profile, then no–because profiles are for people, so you have to have a person’s name. So if you want to change the name of your own personal profile, then no–that won’t work. If you have a page (which you should have, for your rescue), then you can name it anything you want.

35. Emily Garman September 6, 2013 at 10:02 am #

This is a bug, unfortunately….it’s very frustrating. The only solution I have heard of is to just keep trying, and eventually it will work. Sorry I don’t have any better advice!

36. Norma Neal September 7, 2013 at 9:41 am #

If I have a profile myself & I have one for my dog too & want to keep my dog on FB, do I set it up as a community or a public figure? I already started & set it up as a community because someone told me to . It is just sitting there not finished because I don’t know how to do it right. It asked it she is a real community or cause. She is a little orphan dog that was saved because we chose to give her extra care. That would give others incentive to save others. If I put yes, it asks if she is the controller of the pags. If I put no, which is true , then do I need to put my name ? I don’t want to lose my personal profile ! Can anyone help me ?

37. Emily Garman September 12, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Whether you set it up as a community or not, it doesn’t matter. I would make it a “public figure” page myself, but a “community” page is set up exactly like a public figure page or a company page or a nonprofit page.
    You need to put yes, that you are a real community or cause. if it asks you if you’re an “official representative,” put yes, because obviously your dog can’t create her own facebook page! If you say No, then it will not let you create the page. In this case, you are acting on behalf of the dog. You DO need to make sure it’s a page, too, and not a profile–because it IS a violation of Facebook’s policies to create “fake” profiles (that aren’t for real people). So you’re doing it right: log in as your own profile, then create a public figure page for your dog. Good luck!

38. Emily Garman September 12, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

In order to add someone as an admin, that person needs to either “like” your page first, OR they need to be your own Facebook friend. Instead of typing their name, try typing their email address.

39. maddy September 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

Hi – thanks for all the info, I’m anxious about trying it because of the bugs people are reporting – may not be worth it in the end! One question: I understand I can upload my saved data, and even data prior to the page creation date, but what I don’t want to lose are the comments that were made by friends on my posts – and even though I can see those posts in the download you say I need to repost posts manually, but I can’t repost friends’ comments as I’m not logged into their account obviously… so do you lose those comments on your posts? Thanks for all the help you’ve povided us all 🙂

40. Emily Garman September 13, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Yes, that’s right–you would lose the comments on your posts, but ONLY on the page that will be going away. So your “keeper” page, the one the other page is merging INTO, all the posts, photos, comments, etc. on that page will stay intact.

41. Kelly S September 19, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Question… I just walked through converting a personal profile to a page for a friend of mine. He would now like to create a new personal profile page. Can this be done with the same email address, or do we just need to create a new one?

42. Emily Garman September 19, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

You’ll need to use a new email address. That email address (that was for his profile, and is now his page) is now only associated with that page. So you’ll need to use a different email address to create a new profile. Facebook won’t let multiple accounts exist with the same email address.

43. sudhanshu September 21, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

my brother converted his profile into a page last week. but he is not still able to see news feeds, search tabs an tag his fans. can you help about it

44. Vanessa October 16, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

Hi I have had the same problem as Abrie above but can’t see a response? I converted my profile into a page and have lost my timeline and newsfeed in the process and can’t see any one else’s posts now, which were really useful for my community page. I have gone back and re-liked a whole bunch of pages but still can’t see their posts unless I physically go to their page. Any ideas?

45. Irene Cha October 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Hi , I got a problem that i cant seems to log into my account anymore since im using that account for business. So now when i wanted to switch the account to page , I have no where else to click so there isnt a button or a way for me to download the backup file , Secondly even after i try to convert it without getting the backup file , this msg keep popping up ‘ there was an error creating your page ‘ . This is urgent case as my business is still going on and i needed my account Like right now !!! Please help . thanks in advance .

46. john October 22, 2013 at 4:10 am #

Yes! There is a procedure with which this can be done. However, you need to transfer the admin rights of the pages and groups you manage to someone else before starting this procedure because once the merge process is over, your profile will cease to exist. http://bit.ly/1ddQHoB

47. john October 22, 2013 at 4:11 am #

48. SHIPLO October 23, 2013 at 3:36 am #

will i be the admin(manager) of this page ?

49. Emily Garman October 29, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Yes–once you convert, you will be the admin.

50. Nicole December 21, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

I have tried to convert my profile into a business page, followed the directions to a T and am getting an error message, a blank page with no transferred friends into likes and my personal account still in existence. I have been searching all day and submitted a form to Facebook but we all know how timely they are… HELP please!!!