How to Combine or Merge 2 Facebook Pages

Please note: this page’s information is outdated because Facebook changes all the time! Visit the 2012 post to see the most recent information for combining Facebook pages!

GREAT news for so many of you who have multiple Facebook pages for your organizations–you can now merge the two (or three or four) pages!!

So many of us have had different people working on our social media for our organizations, and we have different pages, groups, profiles, etc. created. Now we know we need to have just ONE page for our organization, and here’s how to get there!

Keep in mind, this is for merging two PAGES. If you have a profile or a group, these instructions aren’t for you. There is currently no way–that I know of–to convert a group into a page, but you CAN now convert your Facebook profile into a page!

How to do it

This is a two-step, very simple process, but it will take a couple of business days. BIG thanks to Beth Kanter for sharing this information that she got from her insider contact at Facebook! (It helps to have friends in the right places)!

The first thing you have to do is get your page–the one you want to KEEP–“authenticated” by Facebook. Basically what this means is that Facebook needs to determine that all these pages belong to you and that they belong to your organization. So this is where you put the name and URL of the page you want to merge “into.” The page you want to keep. The other pages, the ones that you want to merge into this page, you’ll enter those pages in step 2.

So to get your page authenticated, go to this page and copy and paste the URL of your page into the form. They say that it will take up to 2 business days to get authenticated. (UPDATE August 2011: This is now taking up to a month; they are REALLY backed up!)

Now, just in case you don’t know how to find your page’s URL (I never want to make assumptions here!) that’s what starts with http://www…..in your address bar at the top of your browser, and looks something like this:

After you’ve received the email from Facebook that your page has been authenticated, you can do step 2!

Go to this page and enter the URL and name of your MAIN page, the authenticated one–the one you want to be your one page when this is all said and done.

Then you enter all the URLs of the pages you want to merge into that page. (these are called your “inauthentic” pages). If you have more than five inauthentic Pages that you would like to merge into your Page, just refresh the form after submitting it. You can then submit an additional request.

What happens now? Facebook will merge your pages! The fans of all the pages will now become fans of the main page. (in the case that someone was a fan of both pages, well, they’ll just remain a fan of the remaining page).

Will the content transfer over?

NO. This is VERY important to note. If you have pictures, videos, or any other content on your pages to be merged, be sure to copy and save it BEFORE you do this. Once the pages are merged, you will no longer be able to access your “inauthentic” pages anymore, and that content will be gone forever. ONLY fans will be merged.

Hopefully, this will help clean up and streamline your organization’s Facebook presence! Be sure also on your remaining “authentic” page that you have at LEAST two admins, just in case something happens; it’s never good to be the ONLY person in charge of your page.

Good luck and please post here if you have any other questions or problems!

Get in Touch!

I'm available via most social media, so drop me a line! I'll answer your questions and I really look forward to hearing from you and helping if I can!

, , , , ,

143 Responses to How to Combine or Merge 2 Facebook Pages

1. Jeepzia August 12, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Here’s the report.
    What you said about the apps and URL are correct 🙂
    As I said, I used the Merge Page function that showed up for me – it was ONLY an option on the http://www.facebook.com/albuquerqueflorist site, not the smaller site. I didn’t get a choice on which page merged into which.

Just a quick tip about the apps – since I was admin of both sites, I could go to the app mgmt page, choose the app and just add it to the other page from the pull down. PLEASE NOTE – this adds the app – not the coding, etc. You will want to copy the app code to notepad or something BEFORE you merge the pages. Then you can just cut and paste the code back into the apps on the page where you just added them.

Thanks for this page. It was very helpful.

2. Maya August 16, 2011 at 3:09 am #

Hi,
    I tried to get my page authenticated several times, but didn’t get any answer.
    I wrote my Email address, the company name and the facebook address.
    Any idea why?
    Maya

3. Caroline August 17, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Hey Emily,

I’m trying to merge two Facebook pages together, but both pages have different names. They are both the same company and have the same basic information on them. I’m scared that Facebook will not authenticate the pages since the names are not the same and delete one of the pages. What do you think?

The reason for the merge is to link the fans & check-in’s from the old page to the new page.

Please help me!

-Caroline

4. Emily Garman August 17, 2011 at 11:46 am #

Hi Caroline,

There is a much easier way to do this in your case; Facebook wants you to be able to merge the “place” page for your business with your “page.”
    Here’s what you do: go into your page (the one you want to keep) and click on “edit page.” Once you get into the back end of your page (the admin area), click on “resources.” Then click on “merge duplicate pages.” It will show you any “place” pages that are eligible to merge with your page, and your place page should come up. (If it doesn’t, make sure they have the same physical address; Facebook is picky about this!).

You may have trouble…because the names are not the same. Give it a try and see what happens.

It’s not going to delete the page without telling you (YOU would have to purposefully delete the page). So don’t worry about that!

Give that a shot and let me know if you have any trouble!

5. Caroline August 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Hey Emily,

I’ve look on both pages and it does not have that under “Resources” ? I think both pages are places maybe? If they are both places and not pages, could I still merge the two?

Haha I’m confusing myself with this process and don’t know how to make it work for my clients!

Thanks,
    Caroline

6. Tammy August 17, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

Hi, i was excited at last to be able to merge my 2 pages into one. BUT i tried to authenticate the pages few times. No answer from Facebook.
    Any idea? Thanks

7. Emily Garman August 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

It is running about a month behind, so you will have to be patient! If you are trying to combine a “page” and a “place,” you can try this: go into your page (the one you want to keep) and click on “edit page.” Once you get into the back end of your page (the admin area), click on “resources.” Then click on “merge duplicate pages.” It will show you any “place” pages that are eligible to merge with your page, and your place page should come up. (If it doesn’t, make sure they have the same physical address; Facebook is picky about this!).

But if they are just two regular pages, then this probably will not even be an option for you (the “merge duplicate pages” option won’t be there). In that case, you’ll just have to wait for Facebook to authenticate your page! Sorry.

8. Emily Garman August 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

Hmmm. If both are places, then it still should work. It may be that both are regular “pages” and not “places” at all. if that is the case, then you’ll need to follow the regular authentication process…and Facebook seems to be running about a month behind on doing those, unfortunately. Depending on your situation, it might be best just to delete one of your pages, if you can’t wait that long. Good luck!

9. Sam August 22, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

HI Emily, My company has 2 different name they go by, I want to shortened it to 1. They are Name A and Name B. I want them to be Name A. But once I merge the 2 pages, if they search me through Name B, will they get results of Name A? I just do not want to lose the Name B in the process. Please HELP! Thank you!

Sam

10. Tammy August 23, 2011 at 7:08 am #

Just found this page and successfully merged my pages. http://www.insidefacebook.com/2011/08/03/how-to-use-merge-duplicate-pages/
    Hope it helps.

11. Emily Garman August 23, 2011 at 7:40 am #

Thanks, Tammy–this is a good post. What we’re seeing currently is that this “merge duplicate pages” feature is ONLY available when you are trying to merge a “Place” with a “Page” OR the 2 pages have identical names. So it’s not appearing as an option for many people. But, as you can see from this post here on my blog, and the one you shared–it changes DAILY, it seems!! So lots of updates!! It’s pretty crazy out there in the Facebook realm…

12. Emily Garman August 23, 2011 at 7:42 am #

Hi Sam,

You WILL lose the name of the page you merge. So if you merge Page B into Page A, you’ll only be able to keep the name of Page A. So if you want to keep the name of Page B, then merge Page A into Page B instead (confused yet?!?!). However–the only way you’re going to be able to merge pages at all anyway is if the names are almost identical. So if Page A and Page B have very different names, Facebook will not let you merge them anyway.

13. Sam August 23, 2011 at 11:28 am #

Hi Emily,

Thanks! No, not confused… yet!! Ah I didn’t know you cannot merge if the names are very different. But can I still merge if they are just different?

Sam

14. sherry September 6, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

i just merged two pages. one started as a place when someone checked in. i had to make sure they both had the same name to merge them.

15. Emily Garman September 7, 2011 at 8:12 am #

Great! Yes, in certain cases–just like yours–in your “resources” area of your page in the admin area, you’ll see a “merge duplicate pages” option. This will allow you to merge a place and a page, but exactly as you said—they must have the same name. Glad it worked for you!

16. Julie September 7, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

What happens to all the Friend “REQUESTS” that haven’t been answered yet since we are over the 5000 limit? Do they automatically convert to Fan Page Likes or ? Thank you! Julie

17. Emily Garman September 7, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

Great question, Julie!

Unfortunately, only people who are currently “Friends” will be converted automatically to “fans.” so anyone who hasn’t become your friend yet, will not be your “fan” when your profile converts to a page. Depending on how many of them there are, you might be able to send messages to them saying “hey, we are converting, so after xx date, you can become a fan of our new page!” or something like that. But if there are a whole lot, that wouldn’t really be practical. Just count on it that those people will find you on their own and become “fans!”

Once you’ve converted, you can also import your entire email database/list and send an email (not a facebook message, but a real email) to them, asking them to become fans. I’m working on a video for that soon!

18. Alejandra September 9, 2011 at 10:16 am #

So here is the problem I’m having.
    We started the business page as a personal page. Then the person managing it started a business page so now we had a business page + a personal page for the same business. She didn’t know that you could convert a personal page into a business page. One has 5000 fans and the other 2500. I want to keep the one with 2500 but it is only letting me merge INTO the one with 5000. However when I changed that page obviously everything got deleted so I have fans but absolutely no content, unlike the other one which also has an established URL. Do you know if the smaller one that has the URL is merged into the one without, will I be able to reclaim this same URL?

19. Emily Garman September 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

When you merge the pages, the remaining page (the one that has 5000) will be the one that keeps its name. So it sounds like this is the one that you DON’T want to keep the URL for. So the smaller page, which has the URL you want, that URL will be gone (since that page will disappear). That URL COULD become available after a few days (It seems to take a few days for it to become “available” again). BUT, if you’ve already chosen a custom URL for your other page (the one you converted into, but don’t want to keep its URL), then you cannot ever change it. If you HADN’T claimed a custom URL for that page, then you probably would be able to “Reclaim” the URL you want after a few days. But if you already chose a custom URL for this page, you won’t be able to change it at all–whether or not your desired name is available. Facebook just will not allow those URLs to be changed. I hope that helps!

20. Nik September 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

Hey Emil i got 2 pages one with 1000 likes and now ive made another one with 10 likes to merge them cause i needed a litle change on the name.
    I filled out the autheticating form and are you use i will get my 2nd page the one with the 10 likes authenticated to merge them. And what exactly dows authenticase do and how long it will take me!!

21. Nik September 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

i didnt meant use i meant SURE?

22. Miss Mercy September 11, 2011 at 3:39 am #

Dear Emily , I am trying to merge 2 pages of School , which the user is admin in both , & owns 1 page , but i can’t find the option under the resources for merging them .

do i need to authenticate ? the names of the pages are almost the same .

Note : pages are ordinary , I don’t know how to build the business one !!!

Thanks & regards

23. Eva September 14, 2011 at 8:37 am #

Hello,

we have a problem with our company page on FB. One was made before by someone who does not work for us anymore and we do not know the password or the email adress it was made with so we can not deactivate it.
    We have made a new page but after trying to deactivate the old one we found that it was possible to merge the two pages which would be better because the old page had a lot more fans.
    Would it be possible to still merge the pages without knowing the login information of the old page?

Thanks,
    E

24. Adriana September 17, 2011 at 6:45 am #

Hi have recently claimed the ‘place’ for for my business. I want to merge it with my existing ‘page’. I have made sure the names and addresses are the same but the ‘merge’ option is not appearing in resources.

Is there a way to get this happening? I have asked facebook support but they just keep sending me the same instructions to merge the page… (bit hard to do when i’m telling you the option is not there..

Ideas anyone?

25. Adriana September 17, 2011 at 6:50 am #

Also if I keep the ‘page’ and merge it to the place into it.. will it become a place – cause adding the check in feature is the whole point..

26. Emily Garman September 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

Hi Adriana,

If you keep your page and merge the “place” into it, you will retain the “check in” option–that is the point, yes. But it may be that you have to roll your page into your place, and not your place into your page (make sense?!). What you’ve done sounds correct, though, so I’m not sure why you’re not seeing the merge option. Can you tell me the URLs of your pages and I will take a look and see if anything is weird?

27. Emily Garman September 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Eva,

It depends on what type of page it was. You can “claim” a place page on Facebook if you can prove that you own the business that it represents. Generally, though, you would need to be an administrator of both pages in order to merge them. What you probably want to do is go to that page (the one you don’t know the login for) and near the bottom left corner, hit “report.” This will allow you to send a message to Facebook saying this is a page representing your company that is not run by your company–and generally you’ll have to go through some process to prove that, such as submitting something on company letterhead, a tax ID number, etc. Then they will give you control of the page. Alternatively, I suppose you could just ask the person who created it to make you or someone else an administrator on the page? I know it all depends on the circumstances. This is an EXCELLENT example of why you should always have at least two admins on your page–in case something like this happens. Good luck!

28. Lorena September 20, 2011 at 11:06 am #

I’ve got 2 pages, same name, same admin, I’d like to merge.
    Only one has the “Edit > Resource > Merge” command and it’s the wrong one, I mean is that one I want to import.
    Any idea on how to “switch” the command and get the other one the main one?
    tks

29. John September 24, 2011 at 9:16 am #

@Emily
    How exactly can I claim a place if “Is this your business?” link is missing? :/
    My goal is also to have that ‘check-in’ thingy on my business fan page, and also the possibility to add my business page as location for events.

30. Kristin September 29, 2011 at 8:08 am #

@Lorena

I am having the same problem!

31. Al October 5, 2011 at 2:42 am #

I’ve been trying to get a page authenticated for over 8 weeks now. Nothing has come back.

I have even re-directed the band’s Website to Facebook altogether. Nothing. I am being completely ignored.

Does anyone have the email of a human being at Facebook I can talk to?

Cheers for the great advice!

32. Anthony October 7, 2011 at 3:49 am #

@Lorena and Kristin,

I’m having the same issue! Did you already found a solution for this issue?

Thanks,

Anthony

33. Emily Garman October 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

Hi Al,

I know it can be SO frustrating. Since so much is changing at Facebook right now, my guess is that they are pretty uninterested in authenticating pages. That URL for authentication was given to me from a person who actually works at Facebook, but that was several months ago; I don’t know if it’s still supported or not. What’s doubly frustrating is that I know SOME people still are using this link with success–just two days ago I heard from someone who successfully validated their page, and it only took a day. So it may be that they can’t or won’t validate your particular page, and just haven’t notified you.

At this point, I think it’s safe to say you are not going to get anywhere with this approach. I try to be a little forgiving of Facebook because, after all, they provide their service entirely FREE to us, so I don’t feel that we can expect the same level of support that we would from a site or service we were paying for or subscribing to. Obviously, it’s nearly impossible to get in touch with a real person at Facebook; they would be completely overwhelmed with calls and emails.

I would try something else at this point if I were you. It may require a little creative thinking!

34. Emily Garman October 8, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

Hi John,

If the “is this your business” link is missing, you can’t claim the place. Either someone else has already claimed it, or it’s not actually set up as a “place.” What I would try to do is “check in” at your location from a mobile device, when you are actually there. See what happens. what choices do you get of places to check in? If the one you want isn’t there, create a new “place” using your mobile device. then you can find that on Facebook on your computer, and “claim” it. If you can’t claim the place at all, you might try to merge your place page and your regular page–if you own both of them. Have you tried that?

35. Emily Garman October 8, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

Lorena, MANY people are in your predicament! Unfortunately, Facebook gives you no options here. You are either going to have to merge into the page you don’t want to keep, or just delete that page altogether. There’s just no way to create that option on a page if Facebook doesn’t present it to you. I’m sorry to give you that news, because I know it’s frustrating!

36. Chris Kresser October 11, 2011 at 10:01 am #

Emily,

Apologies for not reading all of the comments, but my question is this: is it, or is it not, possible to merge two pages with different names? I have tried Edit Page > Resources, and there is no option to merge pages there (I assume because I don’t have two pages with the same name). So I filled out the authentication request using the link you provided. Is there any chance this will work?

37. Emily Garman October 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

Chris–read through the comments. it doesn’t appear that the authentication link is in use any longer. if your Edit Page > Resources doesn’t have the “merge page” feature, there’s not much else you can do. If the page you want to merge is a “place,” you can make sure you “own” the page by clicking “claim page” on that page, but generally you won’t be allowed to ever merge two pages with even slightly different names. You are going to have to delete one page and go with the other.

38. John October 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

@Emily

Hey Emily, thank you, for your reply, much appreciated.
    Well, the place I am trying to claim, has actually been created by the procedure you’ve described above. I’ve checked-in with my mobile device when I physically was at the place. No one else has claimed it yet. There is a link and also a button now saying ‘(Do) you know the owner?’ I’ve used that link couple of weeks ago, suggesting me as the owner, I’ve then received an email, with sort of useless instructions which linked me just back to the place page, where I should be looking for the “Is this your business?” link (to claim the place), which was/is unfortunately missing. Both pages, business and place page got the same name, but I guess since I do not have the ownership of the place page (since I can not claim it), I don’t have any ‘merge’ option in my resources menu of the business page. I’ve been using some facebook link two merge two pages, but it said my page isn’t authenticated, I’ve then used the link you’ve provided to get the authentication, few weeks passed now, and I got no reply. I’ve also submitted a bug report to facebook ..about the issue, and yet no response whatsoever.

It is quite frustrating that to do such a simple thing is so complicated.. :-/
    Any help is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

39. Kay October 14, 2011 at 9:34 am #

I am so confused about all this Facebook stuff. But here is my issue. I have 3 pages: (1) Page; (2) Profile; and (3) a Group. I really only want and need 1 page. How do I manage to get them all together under 1. I’m at a university and this is part of a grant I’m managing and need all my students to only have to look at one place.

THANKS!

Kay

40. Line October 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Hello Emily,

Thanks for the help you share with such kindness and generosity!
    I tried to merge my two pages since few weeks, but can’t follow the “Facebook” indications to do it, because I don’t have the “merge duplicate pages” option appearing on my pages!? :((

I’ll try to do your indications here… But I want to know if I need to repeat the ( First step ) that you indicate ( 2 times!? I mean… I need to send a message to Facebook for they authenticate my two pages!? ) and then, I’ll be able to merge them together!??

Thanks for you help my Friend!
    It is VERY appreciated! 🙂

Line

41. Melissa October 17, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

Wow, thanks for the hard work on this, your responses were the best I found. I have two pages I admin, name slightly different. We’re rebranding. I found that FB would let me “merge duplicate page” from the older profile with the no longer used name, but the option doesn’t appear for the newer profile. I wonder why one and not the other, same address/same admin? I guess I have no option but to delete before I get any more likes.

42. Justin October 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

I have two Facebook pages, the first one I want to keep the url, the second one I want to keep the page name. If I merge them can I pick the page url and name that I want to keep? If not, can I delete them all and just redo it in a couple days and get the old url that I want to keep and do the page name I want or is that url gone for good?

If I merge both Facebook pages do both urls work to get to the merged page?

43. Emily Garman November 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

Hi Kay,

Sorry for the delay. You can’t really combine all these things very easily, unfortunately. You COULD convert your profile into a page, and then–if the have exactly the same name–combine those two pages into 1. but if they have different names, even slightly, that won’t work.
    The group can’t be combined into anything else; what you can do is delete the group, after you’ve encouraged every member to go be a fan of your page. Post on your profile and in the group several times that you will be condensing your Facebook presences, and that they all need to go be fans of your page. Give them the URL. wait a week or so, then delete the group. (The way to do this is to remove all the members, lastly, yourself–once it has no members, it will be automatically deleted by Facebook within a couple of weeks). I think this is going to be the easiest way to move forward for you. Good luck!

44. Emily Garman November 1, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

Hi Line,

This has fluctuated over the last few weeks, but basically, if you don’t see that “merge duplicate page” option on your page, there is nothing you can do. this is now the only way to merge pages. I’m sorry!!

45. Emily Garman November 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Hi Melissa,

Yeah, pretty much you are right. It’s frustrating and not clear why you can merge “into” one page but not another! On the page you’re going to delete, just post several times asking people to “like” your other page (and provide them the URL) and then just bite the bullet and do it!

46. Emily Garman November 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

You probably only have the “merge duplicate pages” option on one of your pages. That is the only one you’ll be able to merge. The other page will merge “into” this one, and this will be the URL you keep. The other URL will disappear, but, irritatingly, it will NOT be available again for you to claim. As you said, you should be able to delete both pages, then create a new page with the URL you want to keep–but it doesn’t work. Others have tried it. It seems that Facebook keeps ALL registered URLs in their database for an indeterminate time (it seems to be forever). So if one of your pages has a URL you want to keep, and that is NOT the page that has the “merge duplicate pages” option, then you will have to delete your other page and just move forward with this one. It’s a choice you have to make–if you have a lot of fans, keep that page. if the URL is really important, then you should keep that!

47. Rocky November 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

Hello,
    I Have a serious issue, i have my website’s page, and i want to authenticate the page.. few months ago some hacker/fake people took away my page from hacking and by fake I.P reports, i have got my page back and want to authenticate it.
    its the official page of my website.
    is this the official form of facebook for authenticating facebook pages?
    And would you please tell me, i can authenticate my website’s facebook page by this form?

Waiting for your reply.

Cheers

48. Emily Garman November 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

Hi Rocky,

That is the only authentication page I know of–but most people have reported that they have filled out this form and never received any kind of response. So if you have your page back, there is really no need to authenticate it–what are you trying to do? Are you trying to merge two pages? If so, you need to use the “merge duplicate pages” feature that is within the admin area of your page. You can try filling out this form, but I don’t know if you will hear anything. I always got a response when I filled it out, but many people are not receiving a response, even after 30 days.

49. Prince Habana November 10, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

One Question

I’ve summitted the form for my page to authenticated. when all that is done, which m hoping it will be . is it possible to merge Two pages of different names. Or its just impossible…..?

50. Emily Garman November 10, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

Unfortunately…it is just impossible to merge two pages with different names. They will not do it. I’m sorry! Facebook is just not allowing this at this time.