How to Combine or Merge 2 Facebook Pages

Please note: this page’s information is outdated because Facebook changes all the time! Visit the 2012 post to see the most recent information for combining Facebook pages!

GREAT news for so many of you who have multiple Facebook pages for your organizations–you can now merge the two (or three or four) pages!!

So many of us have had different people working on our social media for our organizations, and we have different pages, groups, profiles, etc. created. Now we know we need to have just ONE page for our organization, and here’s how to get there!

Keep in mind, this is for merging two PAGES. If you have a profile or a group, these instructions aren’t for you. There is currently no way–that I know of–to convert a group into a page, but you CAN now convert your Facebook profile into a page!

How to do it

This is a two-step, very simple process, but it will take a couple of business days. BIG thanks to Beth Kanter for sharing this information that she got from her insider contact at Facebook! (It helps to have friends in the right places)!

The first thing you have to do is get your page–the one you want to KEEP–“authenticated” by Facebook. Basically what this means is that Facebook needs to determine that all these pages belong to you and that they belong to your organization. So this is where you put the name and URL of the page you want to merge “into.” The page you want to keep. The other pages, the ones that you want to merge into this page, you’ll enter those pages in step 2.

So to get your page authenticated, go to this page and copy and paste the URL of your page into the form. They say that it will take up to 2 business days to get authenticated. (UPDATE August 2011: This is now taking up to a month; they are REALLY backed up!)

Now, just in case you don’t know how to find your page’s URL (I never want to make assumptions here!) that’s what starts with http://www…..in your address bar at the top of your browser, and looks something like this:

After you’ve received the email from Facebook that your page has been authenticated, you can do step 2!

Go to this page and enter the URL and name of your MAIN page, the authenticated one–the one you want to be your one page when this is all said and done.

Then you enter all the URLs of the pages you want to merge into that page. (these are called your “inauthentic” pages). If you have more than five inauthentic Pages that you would like to merge into your Page, just refresh the form after submitting it. You can then submit an additional request.

What happens now? Facebook will merge your pages! The fans of all the pages will now become fans of the main page. (in the case that someone was a fan of both pages, well, they’ll just remain a fan of the remaining page).

Will the content transfer over?

NO. This is VERY important to note. If you have pictures, videos, or any other content on your pages to be merged, be sure to copy and save it BEFORE you do this. Once the pages are merged, you will no longer be able to access your “inauthentic” pages anymore, and that content will be gone forever. ONLY fans will be merged.

Hopefully, this will help clean up and streamline your organization’s Facebook presence! Be sure also on your remaining “authentic” page that you have at LEAST two admins, just in case something happens; it’s never good to be the ONLY person in charge of your page.

Good luck and please post here if you have any other questions or problems!

Get in Touch!

I'm available via most social media, so drop me a line! I'll answer your questions and I really look forward to hearing from you and helping if I can!

, , , , ,

143 Responses to How to Combine or Merge 2 Facebook Pages

1. JH June 28, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks for this Emily, very helpful- but when submitted our Page to be Authenticated at the link you suggested, they ‘someone’ from noreply@fb.com simply replied with this:

‘This form is for public figure page authentication only. Sorry.
    -The Facebook Team’

So it would seem that Company pages cannot use this form for authentication. Do you know of a link to authenticate a Company/Organization Page?

Thanks in advance

2. egarman June 28, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

Interesting!! Thanks for passing this along. I have not heard this from anyone else. Let me do some digging and I will let you know what I find out!!

3. Dusten H. June 29, 2011 at 9:52 am #

This is a great tip but it does not work. Every time I try it i get an error message saying that my page has to be authenticated.

Any ideas for how to get this to work?

I am a social media manager and i have quite a few pages that I need to merge. But this for no longer works.

4. egarman June 29, 2011 at 9:54 am #

Hi Dusten,

You need to authenticate your page first. The link to authenticate your page is right here in the post. Once you’re authenticated (it can take up to 2 business days), it should work.

5. Dusten H. June 29, 2011 at 9:54 am #

wait a minute i missed something…. there we go nvm

6. egarman June 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm #

JH,

I have done some research on the error message you received. Four other people I talked to have tried this with company/organization pages (nonprofits and for profits), and I also did it myself and the email message we all received was “Thank you, Your page is now authenticated.” So my only thought is that you got a bad link or checker or something? I would suggest you try again! good luck!

7. Chen_m June 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

I just filled the Authentication form and hopefully soon I will be able to merge my two pages.

I wonder why facebook doesn’t share this valuable information with the users? I’ve been searching for this option for quite some time..

thank you for sharing this with us!

Chen

8. Alycia June 30, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

I have a place page and a fan page… I created the place page to be able to merge it with the fan page to get the name I wanted (since you can’t change the name of a fan page with more than 10 fans.) Since I did that, FB removed the merge link and hasn’t brought it back.

Does your Facebook insider know if using this process is okay for companies that are authorized users of both pages? I’m not trying to get control of a page I don’t administer since I administer both. I don’t want to get the Facebook gods mad, you know?

9. egarman June 30, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

Alycia,

This process is ONLY okay for companies that are authorized users of both pages. That is what the authorization process does–it makes SURE that you have authorization to make changes and do stuff to the pages. So yeah, you should be just fine!

10. Alycia June 30, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

Thanks, I’ll let you know how it works out!

11. Jack Brock July 3, 2011 at 7:02 am #

I am a little paranoid – no a lot paranoid – so the form to which you provide a link is a non-facebook link, is it safe and not a ploy to get login information for a page? Thanks in advance.

12. egarman July 3, 2011 at 10:27 am #

Hi Jack, VERY valid concern, and I should have addressed it in the post. I was confused by this as well. I didn’t get an answer on that from the person from Facebook, but my thought is that maybe they did not WANT people to find the page! I know that seems weird, but why else would they “hide” it like this?

I have personally authenticated several pages using this page, and others I know have, too. So far no bad results; just an email from Facebook about a day later saying the page was authenticated. So I feel confident about it, but I can certainly understand your reservations! I can definitely say from my own personal experience that it seemed totally legitimate and safe. But yes–why they put it there, only the Facebook gods know! 🙂

13. Jack Brock July 4, 2011 at 12:31 am #

Thanks for the quick reply. Do I need to authenticate both pages?

14. egarman July 4, 2011 at 10:45 am #

No–you just authenticate the page that you want to combine the others into–so the page you want to KEEP–that’s the one you authenticate.

15. Jack Brock July 4, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

Ok thanks I will let you know how its goes

16. Chen_m July 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

hi!
    I manage a politician page for an Israeli Parliament member. we now have two pages (one was a profile converted to a page).
    I filled the form and after three days filled it again and yet received no response.

What else can I do?

Thanks.

17. Lorena July 6, 2011 at 12:25 am #

hi
    I’ve requested my authenticaton and get this answer in 2 days
    “This form is for authorizing public figure pages only. Sorry.”
    Do you not what does it mean?
    Thank

18. egarman July 6, 2011 at 8:28 am #

You are the second person who has had this problem, Lorena–I’m not sure what the problem is. I’ve tried it on many pages, and so have lots of other people, and have not gotten this error message. My suggestion would be to make SURE you are trying to authenticate a PAGE–not a group or a profile, and make sure you have the absolute correct URL for your page. Other than that, it seems to be random error message. I would try again, if I were you, making sure of those things. Good luck!

19. PDR July 6, 2011 at 5:51 pm #

Hi,

I’ve had the same error: “This form is for authorizing public figure pages only. Sorry.”

The page I’m trying to authenticate is definitely a page. I even went through facebook admin to gain control of our businesses vanity url a few months ago.

The page I’m trying to authenticate was set up while our account was still a profile. I recently followed the steps to convert this profile to a business account + (2nd) page. Now I’m trying to merge the new page generated by this account conversion process into our first, established page. Don’t know why FB doesn’t just help you merge it into an existing page.

It’s really frustrating how little support FB provides. Even the above error alert doesn’t provide an alternative, or at least inform you that there isn’t an alternative.

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

20. Sahan July 7, 2011 at 12:49 am #

Hi, We manage a facebook page on a celibrity “Jacqueline Fernandez” (an active almost official page) and recently a new page ( Not official at all) have merged lots of pages in to it. And believe it or not they have merged the page which the official website was redirecting you, into their page !
    Hopefully we read your article we got our page authenticated ! now we have submitted a request to merge that new page into ours. But the problem is, they should have got that useless page already authenticated to merge with other pages. So is it possible to merge that authenticated page into our authenticated page ?
    Is there anyway we can report to facebook that the page they have authenticated is NOT authentic ? How long will it take for the pages to be merged after we submit the request ? Thanks you. Please reply.

21. Lorena July 8, 2011 at 1:17 am #

Thanks egarman, I suppose it’s an error because my url is correct and is a page url.
    I’m going to try again and let you know.

22. Jack Brock July 8, 2011 at 1:32 am #

I am receiving the same error – this is for public figures. Any suggestions?

23. Kate July 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Hi! Thank you for the information. I have gone through the processes and Facebook emailed me that on June 30th :

Your merge request has been approved. For more information about this issue, please visit the Help Center:

The Facebook Team

However, it has been 8 days and I have yet to see the fans transfer over (I lost 1,500+ 🙁 ) HELP!!!

Any suggestions?

24. Jonathan July 10, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

thanks for the info,

i’ve filled out the first form the authenticate the page about a week ago and still haven’t heard back from facebook.

am i missing something?

25. Lorena July 12, 2011 at 3:16 am #

Not answer from my second try 4 days ago 🙁

26. Marin July 12, 2011 at 4:16 am #

I submitted one FB page for an authorization on 8th of June and after 6 days still no answer. Positive or negative. I’m starting to doubt that I will receive any answer for this so I will do the process again. All together it isn’t a nice user experience… 🙁

27. Jillian July 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Yeah, it’s been 4 days for me too and no response. I submitted again today. I wonder if they are seeing an abnormal response from the link?

28. Karen July 21, 2011 at 2:23 am #

Thanks for this information, most useful. However, I have a question…

I currently have two pages for my (small) business. One is a profile conversion (profile was created before pages existed!) and the second page is the one I set up when pages arrived on the scene (I deactivated the business profile at this time but have since converted it).

When I originally created the business profile, I took the facebook.com/mybusinessname link associated with my business to ensure it was allocated to me. Obviously, then when I created the pages page the facebook.com/mybusinessname was already allocated (to my business profile page).

Now, with your useful information I intend to merge both pages. The converted profile page has little or no information on it but is accessed by the facebook.com/mybusiness name link and my pages page has lots of information, photos, wallposts etc but doesn’t have the benefit of the facebook.com/mybusiness URL

Therefore… which page do I authorise in order to keep access to the facebook.com/mybusinessname link AND keep data/information on the actual pages page?

Thanks in advance for your help

29. vishal July 23, 2011 at 7:12 am #

wanted to check…do we have to have the URL – with the number or it will also work if we put the url with the name.

Eg – If i changed my page name to ABC due to which the id i.e. the number was removed…is it fine to enter facebook.com/ABC or do I have to enter the id?

Asking coz I didnt get any mail since the last week!

30. Recepti Svijeta July 29, 2011 at 3:38 am #

Is anyone knows is this merging still working or FB disable that option? I tried but only reply is that my page is not authentic, and i really do not know how to do that 🙁

31. egarman July 31, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

Judging from what I have heard from a lot of people, it seems that you will get a response about 1/2 the time. I don’t know why! I have contacted the only person I know at Facebook (we don’t actually “know” each other, he’s a referral from another person I know), and have gotten no response. Personally, the first time I tried this, it worked fine…the second time, I didn’t get a response either! I would say, after this length of time, try again and see what happens. I’m sorry I can’t be of more help. If I ever find a responsive source at Facebook, I will let everyone know!

32. egarman July 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

Hi Jonathan,

33. egarman July 31, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

Hi Kate,

Sorry for my delay in responding; I’ve been really swamped lately. Any luck on this? If not, tell me your URL and I will take a look at your page(s). thanks!

Emily

34. egarman August 2, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

This is still available. You need to authenticate your page first–are you following the steps in this post? It tells you how to get your page authenticated.

35. quang anh August 3, 2011 at 11:40 am #

Hi,
    I already follow your guide but I didn’t receive any reply from facebook about my fanpage.
    Please help me other way.
    Thanks so much

36. egarman August 3, 2011 at 11:42 am #

How long have you waited? Sometimes it takes a week or so to get your page authenticated.

37. quanganh August 6, 2011 at 8:00 am #

It is two weeks from I submited so many times but I don’t receive any email.
    And even I submit again. I do anything wrong?
    Please give me some advice.
    Thanks so much.

38. Cam August 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

hey, ive tried to authenticate my page . no reply . I’ve tried doing it about 3 or 4 times now, is that gonna be a problem ? Also does the page have to have atleast 25 likes to become eligible to be authenticated ?

39. Karen August 8, 2011 at 2:17 am #

Hi Emily

Thanks for the info… still wondering if you can help me.

I currently have two pages for my (small) business. One is a profile conversion (profile was created before pages existed!) and the second page is the one I set up when pages arrived on the scene (I deactivated the profile I created for the business at this time but have since converted it to a page too – hence I now have two pages).

Therefore… which page do I authenticate in order to keep access from the facebook.com/mybusinessname link AND keep data/information on the actual pages page?

Thanks in advance for your help

40. Morten August 9, 2011 at 4:03 am #

In the authentication form (Jotform) it requires to enter a company, what if you want to authenticate a Fanpage for a webpage?

I mean i have company but our business is webpage, so it does not make sence for us to have one of the page authenticated on the company name, except for the one which is actually for “promoting” our company?

Best, Morten

41. quanganh August 9, 2011 at 5:40 am #

t is two weeks from I submited so many times but I don’t receive any email.
    And even I submit again. I do anything wrong?
    Please give me some advice.
    Thanks so much.

42. egarman August 9, 2011 at 7:24 am #

Morten,

Just put the name of whatever your fan page is promoting. If that’s a website, just put the URL of the website there!

43. egarman August 9, 2011 at 7:25 am #

To everyone who is not getting a response from the authentication form–I have had the same problem. I don’t know if they have turned it off, or they are just really backed up, or what. The only contact I have “inside” facebook is not answering me either. So I am trying REALLY hard to get an answer for us all! As soon as I know anything I will post it here.

Thanks!
    emily

44. Jeff Norris August 11, 2011 at 10:30 am #

Like sooooo many other people, I am trying to merge pages – notably generic Place pages – into real pages owned by clients of mine.

It is terribly difficult to do. I have not had any success after weeks of trying. I am attempting your method now.

I have been a big fan of Facebook but it is so monolithic and seemingly has no humans willing to help out other humans, that I am quickly growing disenchanted.

If you have any method of letting them know their customer service is super bad, it would be great.

45. Jeepzia August 11, 2011 at 10:34 am #

I see two of my pages are eligible to be merged (sans verification form). I basically made the page names the same, and the addresses the same; then the option to merge came up in the resources tab – but only for the most active account.

I have a couple questions:
    1) Will my apps merge? I have some on one page and different ones on the other.
    2) What happens to my FB page URL? I’ve done a ton of promo for my smaller page and don’t want to track back and change them all.

Thanks and good luck with your merges.
    I’ll be completing the process, one way or another, by the end of the week.

Here are my URLS if anyone wants to follow along:
    Oldest/most active: http://www.facebook.com/albuquerqueflorist
    Newest (and the one I want to be the primary) http://www.facebook.com/abqflorist

46. egarman August 11, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

Hey everyone! I heard from Facebook, and the GOOD news is they are still authenticating pages. They are still using this form. the BAD news is, they are a MONTH behind. So it can take up to a MONTH to get your email back that your page is authenticated. So just go ahead and submit it ONCE–don’t keep resubmitting it, because then it will only cause more of a traffic jam. We are just going to have to be patient! If I hear of another way, I will let you know!

47. egarman August 11, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

I hear ya, Jeff! It sounds like there may be one other way to do this–it’s not that it’s so hard, you just have to follow certain steps, and then WAIT on Facebook to do their part of it! You might try the process outlined in this video–http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GXeCcHCPJ4 it’s a bit different than using the authentication form that i showed you, but either way should work. I don’t know if one will net a faster response or not, but it’s worth a shot! Good luck.

48. egarman August 11, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

Hi Jeepzia,

Basically, you choose the page that you are merging “into.” So you have to choose the one that you want to KEEP. So for this explanation, let’s say that you are keeping Page A–that is going to be your master page, the one you’ll merge the other page into. So the “smaller” page is, say, Page B. So you’re going to merge Page B into Page A.

Your apps will not merge. You will lose the apps on page B. Only the apps on Page A will be retained.
    The Facebook Page URL for Page B will disappear. You will only keep the URL for Page A. So if you’ve done a lot of work to promote the URL for page B, then I would suggest you roll Page A into Page B instead.

A suggestion–if I were you, (and of course, I don’t know all the details) I would keep facebook.com/albuquerqueflorist. that is going to be much better for SEO, it seems to me. Good luck!

49. Chris August 12, 2011 at 9:31 am #

This is such great news. So just to be clear if I am the admin of 2 company Facebook pages, company A and Company B have merged into company A. I can merge the two even if they are not named the same? I’ve submitted my request so let’s hope for the best! If this works, we can start asking for URL and name change requests 😉

50. Chris August 12, 2011 at 9:43 am #

I forgot to mention my Merge duplicate pages link is not longer available in my settings, has anyone heard of this?